Tower Crane Course Options
CPCS Red Trained Operator Card: If you are an experienced Tower Crane operator you may be able to undertake a 1 day theory and practical test without the need for training. See our CPCS Test Day page for information. For information on CPCS Novice training courses please scroll down.
CPCS Blue Cards and Renewals: Your CPCS Red card will be valid for 2 years after which you will need to apply for a CPCS Blue ‘Competent Operator’ Card which will last for 5 years. For more information on CPCS, how these accreditation’s work and how to renew please see the CPCS section of our website.
NPORS Certification: NPORS is becoming a much more recognised certification. We were delighted to be awarded our NPORS accreditation last year. If you are an experienced operator with this type of plant you will be able to undertake a 1 day theory and practical test without the need for training.
Testing for this category can only be delivered at your premises as a dedicated 1 day course for up to 4 delegates. We would require use of a Tower Crane for the duration of the course and tests. For more information on NPORS Practical and Theory testing click here. For information on NPORS Novice training courses please scroll down. To learn more about NPORS click here.
NTSS/CTA Certificate: We offer our own, in-house training and certification programme. These courses offer the same high standards of training and testing as with our accredited courses for a slightly lower cost. These courses are especially helpful if a CPCS qualification is not essential and the operator work will be generally undertaken on your own site.
If you are an experienced excavator operator with this type of plant you will be able to undertake a 1 day theory and practical test without the need for training. Testing for this category can only be delivered at your premises as a dedicated course assuming you have the required plant. For more information on NTSS Practical and Theory testing click here. For information on NTSS Novice training courses please scroll down.
Training for Novice Tower Crane Operators
CPCS: 5 days (including 1 day for technical tests). Refresher courses available.
NPORS: 4 days (including 1 day testing). A 3 day refresher course is also available.
NTSS/CTA: 4 days (including 1 day testing). A 3 day refresher course is also available.
Maximum number of delegates: 3
This course will train you to operate and maintain tower cranes safely.
- Operate the tower crane safely and productively.
- Respond to the recognised signals for controlling crane operations.
- Decide whether a particular load is within the capacity of the crane.
- Carry out minor adjustments and routine maintenance.
- Understand the capabilities of the equipment and any relevant safety.
- Precautions, including the out of service procedure.
- Operate safe-load indicators and overload warning devices.
- Understand the effect of the working radius on the lifting capacity of the machine.
- Secure, check and maintain counterweights effectively.
- Gauge the effect of shock loading on structural strength and stability.
- Recognise the principles of safe slinging, the types and capacities of lifting gear, security and balance of load.
- Observe the statutory regulations in respect of lifting equipment and the operator’s own legal responsibilities.
Once you have completed your training you will undertake your test day – click the appropriate link below for more information and what to expect on your test day.
Venue: This CPCS, NPORS or NTSS/CTA course can only be held at your premises and only if a tower crane is available to use.
Certification: Delegates successfully completing the course will receive either a CPCS Red Trained Operator card, NPORS certification or our NTSS/CTA Certificate of Attendance depending on the course you have chosen.
Course Requirement: For CPCS courses you will need to have passed a health and safety touch screen test within the 2 years prior to taking this course.
Course Fee: Please contact us for a quote.