Funding for training

Natalie SieberichsUncategorizedLeave a Comment

Whole article with thanks to


We are aware the cost of training to obtain a qualification can be an issue for many people seeking to enter the industry, or already employed and wishing to upskill.

The cost of training is determined by the numerous training companies delivering training and will vary depending on who is delivering the training and where in the UK the course is delivered.

There is a wide range of financial support available to both employees and the self-employed seeking to achieve qualifications within the UK construction industry. Below are some of the funding options for you to consider.

The CITB Levy and Grant System

Grants are available to employers who pay the construction industry training levy, and these grants are used to support training the workforce.

If you are an employee, ask your employer if they are registered with CITB and, if so, whether they can claim a grant for your training.

Please note: Small employers and the self-employed that don’t need to pay the levy may also be able to apply for a grant. You must meet the requirements as set out by the CITB and register your company with the CITB before making an application.

Further details can be found on CITB’s website:

Local funding

Funding may be available locally to support your training needs. CSCS recommends that you contact the training providers in your local area to discuss what funding is available.

There are also the Local Enterprise Partnerships (LEPs) that may have access to funding in your area. LEPs are voluntary partnerships between local authorities and businesses set up to promote economic growth and job creation within the local area. Further details on LEPs can be found here:


If you are unemployed, please make an appointment with your work coach at your local Job Centre. They will be able to confirm what funding is available to assist your journey into work.

If you have been unemployed for 3 months or more, you may qualify for grant funding through the B&CE charitable trust. An eligible person is anyone who is able to evidence they have been a construction worker with a minimum of 12 months’ construction employment as a “tradesperson” (at any time within their employment history).

Below is a link which provides further details:

Additional support

If you are unsure about what funding is available for your occupation, or you require assistance in making a funding request, please contact the trade association for your occupation and they will provide further advice and support.


Whole article with thanks to

Leave a Reply